Sun god or Surya is among the major deities worshiped by the Hindus. As the darkness of the worlds is eliminated by the sunrise, Surya also banishes the darkness of ignorance and grants freedom. The Sun god is said to be the personification of all knowledge. He is Lord Hanuman’s Guru. Some of the imminent advantages resulting from the Surya Mantras chanting include vision improvement, cure of skin diseases, mental and physical well-being, cure of diseases and long life.
Significance of Surya Mantras
Sun constantly shines on earth and on this earth, there is nothing that can be concealed from him. He is named as Sarvati Sakshi Bhutam (The ever watching witness to every happening). It is also said that since Surya keeps on watching the people’s deeds, those who don’t show gratitude in their lives will experience the wrath of Surya. So, we must be grateful to all those people who helped us in any way, which is one of the simple ways of pleasing Surya.
Due to its high power to revive the life on earth, Surya is regarded as the GOD in Hinduism and other few religions. Even the temples like Surya Narayana temple located in Andhra pradesh, Sun temple in Odisha are constructed for the Sun God. Offering water to Surya is practiced during the sunrise time and in this process, the spectrum of sun rays refract through water impacting us in a positive way from head to toe.
This process miraculously helps us in the intellectual upliftment of the individual and it also reflects the improvement of his acumen in the decision making, in digestion, in eyesight, splendor as well as luster.
The sun-rays that is refracting through water of libation is an important source of beauty and vigour. The violet, green colors that are refracted from VIBGYOR of SUN are regarded as the rich sources of anti-bacterial energy. The body of humans is made up of 5 things, space (aakash), fire (energy), earth (prithvi), water (jal) and air (vayu) and the cure of all body ailments is only amongst these 5 things and the rays of the rising sun are one of these things. By the use of these sun rays, many diseases can be cured e.g. ailments of the eyes, heart, leprosy, jaundice and weak mind.
Surya mantras are very easy to chant. Early morning during sunrise is the best time to chant Surya Mantras. While chanting all these mantras when facing the sun, there are 12 yogic postures that are carried out. Generally 3 rounds of repeatedly saying the Surya mantras with corresponding Aasana is advised.
Surya Mantras in English and Meaning:
- Om Mitraya Namaha (Salutation to the friend of everyone)
- Om Ravaye Namaha (Salutation to the lustrous one)
- Om Suryaya Namaha (Salutation to he who sets everything to activity)
- Om Bhanave Namaha (Salutation to he who brightly illumines the earth)
- Om Khagaya Namaha (Salutation to the one who travels swiftly in the sky)
- Om Punshne Namaha (Salutation to the giver of nourishment to being)
- Om Hiranya Garbhaya Namaha (Salutation to the golden womb or the primordial matter from which everything else emanated)
- Om Marichaye Namaha (Salutation to the Lord of the Dawn)
- Om Adityaya Namaha (Salutation to the son of Aditi, the cosmic Mother)
- Om Savitre Namaha (Salutation to the Lord of Creation)
- Om Arkaya Namaha (Salutation to the one who is the best one to be adored and worshipped)
- Om Bhaskaraya Namaha (Salutation to he who illumines the external and the internal world)
Sun god is considered as the head of planets. He is the central fulcrum that moves all the planets in their orbits respectively. He is therefore the lord of every movement in the universe. Surya lights the world and makes everything bright. But for him, the world would have been ever censured to darkness. He is therefore heralded as the Lord of Light. The image of Surya is shown to be riding a chariot that consists of a single wheel (the wheel of time) and 7 horses (7 colors).
Some of the festivals specially dedicated for the worship of Surya are Samba Dashami, Chhath, Makar Sankranti and Ratha Saptami. Daily, the surya mantra is chanted to get happiness, prosperity and good health. Surya Mantra is chanted especially on the unique occasions that are dedicated to Lord Surya. The Surya mantra is highly effective in fulfilling the chanters’ wishes and also in providing the ultimate wisdom to devotees.
Procedure to offer Surya Arghya
- Take a utensil made with copper and fill it with water.
- Add red flowers, kumkum and red sandal to it and during the sunrise time, face towards the east direction and allow the water to fall down very slowly (back into soil or river or a water container preferably).
- It would be better if you pour this water at the root of a plant.
- Place the utensil parallel to your forehead with both of your hands and recite either of the below mantras 11 times while pouring.
You will see the following positive changes when you chant Surya Mantra
- You feel highly connected to Surya and more energized.
- He has the supreme power to grant you fame, great prosperity and perfect health.
- Surya hymn can enhance your eyesight and eliminate the diseases related to eyes.
- You can bask in the divine grace of Sun God.
- The Sun’s brightness grants you the power and knowledge to work fast.
- You develop the mental and physical endurance needed to overcome all the obstacles of life.
- Worshiping the Sun God makes you more fearless and heroic.
- You will become more philanthropic.
- The negative thoughts of treachery, desire, greed, anger and ego are cleansed from your mind.