The creation of Sri Panchamukhi Hanuman can be traced to a story in Ramayana. During the war between Lord Rama and Ravana, Ravana took help of Ahiravana, the king of Pathala. Lord Hanuman in order to protect Lord Rama and Lakshman formed a fortress with his tail. Ahiravana took the form of Vibhishana the noble brother of Ravana and took Lord Rama and Lakshman to Pathala loka.
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra
Hanuman entered pathala loka in search of Rama and Lakshmana, He found that life of Ahiravana was hidden in the five lamps which were placed in different directions. He could be killed only by extinguishing all five lamps the same time. To accomplish this Hanuman had to take the form of Panchamukha Hanuman. This form of Hanuman has five faces. Hayagriva, Narasimha, Garuda and Varaha are the four other faces along with Hanuman’s face. Hanuman using the five faces in different directions blows air to extinguish the lamps there by killing Ahiravana.
Panchmukhi Hanuman Stotra
Every Face of Sri Panchmukhi Hanuman has importance
- Sri Hanuman faces East. He grants purity of mind and success.
- The Narasimha faces South. He grants victory and fearlessness.
- The West facing Garuda removes black magic and poisons.
- The North facing Varaha, showers prosperity, wealth.
- The Hayagriva mukha faces the Sky. However, to make it visible to us, it is usually tilted and shown above Hanuman’s face. Hayagriva gives knowledge and good children.
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra in English
- Om hreem kleem hroom hraim panchamukha hanumaan mahaadeva Hum phat swaaha
- Om Aiem Hreem Panchamukha Hanumanthey Namaha
- Om Poorva Kapimukhey Panchamukha Hanumathey Tam Tam Tam Tam Tam Sakala Shatru Samharanaaya Swaha.
Panchamukhi Hanuman Stotra
- ओम हरेम क्लेम हरुम हरि पंचकुखे हनुमन महादेव हम फाट स्वाहा
- ओम अइम हरेम पंचमूख हनुमंथी नमाहा
- ओम पूर्वा कपुमूची पंचामुखा हनुमताई ताम तम तम ताम सकाळ शात्रा समरानाया स्वाह
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra in Telugu
- ఓం హ్రేం క్లిమ్ హృమ్ హ్రేం పంచముఖ హనుమాన్ మహాదేవ హమ్ ఫాట్ స్వాహా
- ఓం ఏయే హ్రేం పంచముఖ హనుమంతిహీ నమః
- ఓం పూర్వ కపిముఖేయ్ పంచముఖ హనుమతేహే తమ్ తమ్ తమ్ తమ్ తమ్ సకల శత్రు సంహరణాయ స్వాహ
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra in Tamil
- ஓம் ஹம்ம் ஹும்ம் ஹும்ம் பம்முமுக்கு ஹனுமான் மஹாதேவ் ஹம் பாத் ஸ்வாஹா
- ஓம் ஏம் ஹேம் பஞ்சம்மா ஹனுமான்ஸ்தே நமஹா
- ஓம் பூரவா கபிமுகி பாஞ்சுமாக்கு ஹனுமாத்தி டே Tam Tam Tam Tam Sakala Shatru Samharanaaya Swaha
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra in Kannada
- ಒಮ್ಮೆ ಹರ್ಮ್ ಕ್ಲೆಮ್ ಹುಮ್ ಹ್ರೇಮ್ ಪಂಚಮುಖ ಹನಮಾನ್ ಮಹದೇದ ಹಮ್ ಫಾತ್ ಸ್ವಹಾ
- ಓಂ ಐಂ ಹ್ರೆಮ್ ಪಂಚಮುಖ ಹನುಮಂತೇ ನಮಃ
- ಓಂ ಪೂರ್ವಾ ಕಾಪಿಮುಖಿ ಪಂಚಮುಖ ಹನುಮಾಥೆ ತಮ್ ತಮ್ ತಮ್ ತಮ್ ತಮ್ ಸಕಾಲ ಶಟ್ರು ಸಮಾರನಾಯ ಸ್ವಾಹಾ
Panchamukhi Hanuman Mantra Meaning
The face towards the East is Sri Hanuman Mukha in its original form. This face removes all blemishes of sin and confers purity of mind (Chitta Suddhi).
Sri Karala Ugravira Narasimha Swami, facing the South, removes fear of enemies and confers victory.
The face facing the west is that of Lord Shri Mahavira Garuda and this face drives away evil spells, black magic influences etc and removes all poisonous effects in one’s body.
Sri Lakshmi Varaha murthi facing the North, wards off the troubles caused by bad influences of the planets and confers all prosperity – Ashta Aishwarya.
The Urdhva Mukha facing upwards of Sri Hayagriva Swami confers knowledge, victory, good wife and progeny.’
As the following mantra indicates, Lord Hanuman provides his devotees with knowledge, power, courage, and health.
The east facing form of Lord Hanuman protects devotees from problems caused by enemies. He provides happiness and fulfills wishes.’
The south facing form of Lord Narasimha removes all types of fear, sins, unfavorable influences of spirits and demons, and fulfills our wishes.
The west facing form of Lord Garuda removes all types of ailments, negativities, black magic, poison, and fear.
The north facing form of Lord Varaha provides the ashta aishwarya (eight different forms of wealth).
The upwards facing form of Lord Hayagriva helps devotees attract the goodwill of people. The words of His devotees turn into reality. He bestows them with advancement in seeking knowledge, good company of friends, intelligence, good children, and salvation.
The five forms namely Hanuman, Narasimha, Garuda, Varaha, and Hayagriva can also be invoked individually by chanting specific Gayatri mantras.
If one is troubled by evil influences, and want to seek protection from fears, enemies, and the occult, Panchmukhi Hanuman is the God for him. He protects those who seek refuge in him.
Hanuman is often found in temples applied with Sindhoor. Sindhoor (Vermillion) is a modified version of saffron made into a paste. The color morphs into a deep red which symbolizes the immense strength of Lord Hanuman and is also the color of boldness. The color red once again signifies the muladhara chakra (the very first chakra in the human body ) and it is the basis of the survival instinct and deep rooted fear complexes. Gazing at this deep red relieves some of the fears and hence Lord Hanuman is painted a deep red colour in temples.
Panchmukhi Hanuman is worshipped in the context of energy for the following reasons :
- To overcome distressing energy : To overcome problems due to spirits, black magic, ancestors’ subtle bodies, suffering due to Shani, etc.
- To control pleasant energy : If there is any obstacle in the pathway of the activated kundalini (spiritual energy) then to overcome it and channelize it appropriately.
Khatu Shyam Aarti
Sri Rama Raksha Stotram
Vishnu Sahasranamam Lyrics in English and PDF Download
Vishnu Sahasranamam in Tamil and PDF Download
Vishnu Sahasranamam In Telugu and PDF Download
Vishnu Sahasranamam in Kannada and PDF Download
Vishnu Sahasranamam In Hindi and PDF Download