If there is one time of the year when Delhi looks grander than ever, it is monsoon time. Come rains and you can finally see Delhiites sitting back with nothing more than chai-samosa and giant smiles! If you’ve experienced the best of Delhi monsoon and are craving for more than just the city, these places are just for you. Perfect destinations for travellers eagerly searching for the best monsoon getaways near Delhi.
1. ShimlaYou can never get over this one Shimla, when it rains, is sheer magic with fog swirling right to you.TheMall Road looks newly washed and oh-so-beautiful; the famous Shimla umbrellas come out in more hues than ever and getting a cup of tea from one of the roadside stalls feels better than it usually does. Right at the top of this list, Shimla is nothing less than the most perfect of all monsoon getaways near Delhi.
2) UdaipurThe city of lakes looks fifty shades more gorgeous when it rains. Yes, if mountains are not your thing, Udaipur is just the much loved of all places to visit near Delhi in monsoon. The many lakes fill to the brim, its forts gleam under pouring rain and its luxury resorts woo with a charm that is unsurpassed.
Another perfect pick to drive off to in Delhi monsoon, Jaisalmer is the place for miracle lovers. Miracle for rain showers turns the desert around in an oasis of sorts, surprising green bursting on the landscape and hordes of blackbucks and peacocks giving pleasant company on the Delhi-Udaipur route. The Golden City gleams when it rains; so, do not miss.
4) NaggarIf you have Been to Manali and feel yourself out of love with this place, Naggar is where you should head to. Away from the touristy buzz of Manali, this hamlet is perfect for the lovers of solitude and nature. My pick for the most perfect monsoon getaways near Delhi, Naggar would bowl you over with its sleepy, slow life in a rather fast world.
5) LandourMore famous as Mr Ruskin Bond’s love, Landour is just a stone throw’s away from Mussoorie yet manages to evade the crowd somehow. Perhaps, the reason is that there is nothing to do in Landour other than gorging over tea and omelette buns, indulging in the desserts at the Landour Bakehouse and reading one of Mr Bond’s famous work. If this is what your idea of a vacation in Delhi monsoon sounds like, go.
6) Chandratal Ah, yes, this one is more difficult to get to but it has charms that are unparalleled. Not fitting the definition of the “actually near” places to visit near Delhi in monsoon, this high altitude lake is for the sheer love of adventure. Nestled high in the Himalayas, Chandratal is where you camp with your friends and sleep under the stars after a rather hard drive from Delhi. Stars, for it gets stormy yet doesn’t rain much around Chandratal.
7) AmritsarIf you’ve been waiting to get those postcard-like photographs of the Golden Temple, rains are just the setting. An easy drive away, this city in Punjab is great if you are scouring for places to visit near Delhi in monsoon. Once you’re done with the camera work, gorge over the really yummy street food of Amritsar.
A rather arduous drive to Kasol from Delhi for a monsoon getaway might sound like too much effort to you but mark my words for this one. Rather cut off from crowd, owing to the somewhat nasty roads to it from Delhi, Kasol will charm you with its cosy cafes, a river that looks nothing less than wild and trance music in air. An insider tip from me, look for the tiny boutiques here; they sell the best hippie clothes, borrowing heavily from Israeli fashion.
Source: Happy Trips