According to Hindu calendar, Lord Hanuman was born on the Chaitra Shukla Purnima(i.e., full moon day of the Chaitra month). Lord Hanuman is the most respected God in India. Devotees of Lord Hanuman celebrate ‘Hanuman Jayanti’ annually in the Chaitra Purnima(Hindu month of Chaitra) on 15th day of Shukla Paksha. Indians celebrate Hanuman Jayanti to memorialize the birthday of Lord Hanuman. He is also called as Bajrangbali, Maruti, Aanjaneya, Pavanputra, Anjani Sut and Mahavira.
Lord Hanuman was born to Mata Anjani and Wind God Kesari. He is also referred as the son of Vayu Deva(means Wind God). Devotees revere Lord Hanuman as the greatest disciple of Lord Rama and it is also believed that he is an incarnation(eleventh avatar) of God Shiva. Hanuman Jayanti is an auspicious day for Hindu devotees especially for Brahmacharis(Bachelors/Unmarried), Bodybuilders and Wrestlers. Commemorating Hanuman Jayanti represents the balanced coexistence of the entire human brotherhood with the nature’s superhuman creature, Maruti from Vanara society. Hindus worship Lord Hanuman as a divine creature.
Devotees of Lord Hanuman commemorate Hanuman Jayanti in the following way:
- A day long fasting is performed.
- Visit Hanuman temple and have his darshan.
- Devotees donate red vermillion i.e., Sindoor to God Hanuman.
- The main ritual on this day is ‘Shodashopachara Hanuman Puja’
- Devotees meditate on Bajarangbali and his God Rama.
- Memorialize Hanuman Chalisa
- Devotees spend the whole day in repeating his adventures and glories and be blessed.
Hanuman Jayanti, 2017
In India, according to the types of calendar used and regional beliefs, devotees find Hanuman Jayanti celebrated in different dates. However, Hanuman Jayanti falling in the month of Chaitra (Chaitra Purnima) is having great significance and widely celebrated across India, especially in North Indian states. But still there are some regions/states in India wherein this festival is celebrated at different times. Let’s have a look at them.
- In both Andhra Pradesh & Telangana states, Hanuman Jayanti festival is celebrated during Chaitra Purnima for 41 days and the last day is observed as the tenth day in Vaishakha month during Krishna Paksha. Devotees perform Deeksha (wearing divine orange-colored clothes-representing as the disciple of Lord Hanuman during 41-days period) and conclude it on the Hanuman Jayanti day.
- In Tamil Nadu state, Hanuman Jayanti is referred as the Hanumath Jayanti and is recognized during Margashirsha Amavasya. As per Gregorian calendar, Hanumath Jayanti falls during January or December month.
- In Karnataka state, Hanuman Jayanti is popularly called as ‘Hanuman Vratham’ and is observed during Margashirsha month on Shukla Paksha Trayodashi.
- In Orissa state, the festival day is observed during Vishuba Sankranti, is also called as Mesha Sankranti as per other calendars.
For the year 2017, Hanuman Jayanti is falling on 11th April (on Tuesday).
Hanuman Jayanti Puja timings:
- Purnima Tithi starts at 10:22 AM on 10th April, 2017 and
- Purnima Tithi finishes by 11:37 AM on 11th April, 2017
Story Behind Hanuman Jayanti
In times past, a great saint called Angira went to meet the heaven king, Indra. There he was welcomed by the Indra through the dance performed by Punjikasthala, a damsel. Nonetheless, the saint was not interested in the kind of dance presented by damsel and starts doing meditation memorizing his God. After the presentation of the dance, Indra asks saint Angira about her dance performance, saint was silent and said that he was deeply meditating on his God as he was not interested in such dances.
Both Indra and damsel felt ashamed, and the damsel started disheartening the saint, but saint cursed her and said “Earmark ! You shall debase to earth from heaven. You will take birth as a female monkey in the mountain forests”. She feels sorry about what she did and regretted to the saint, then the merciful saint calms down and supports her with blessings like, “ You will give birth to a boy, who is a great devotee of Paramatma and serve Paramatma forever ”. Damsel then will be born to Kunjar, the king of monkeys on the earth.
She gets married to the Kapiraj Kesari of the mount Sumeru. Then she gives birth to Lord Hanuman with the support of five divine determinants like Saint Angira’s curse and blessings, blessings of Lord Shiva, Putrakameshti Yagna fruit, blessings of Vayu Deva and her prayers. It is treated that God Shiva has to be born as human being on the earth on his 11th incarnation(Rudra avatar) form of Hanuman as he couldn’t serve to the God Rama by being in his real form.
Hanuman Jayanti Puja
All the members of the Vanara community including the human brotherhood were very happy celebrating Lord Hanuman’s birthday with great joy, enthusiasm by singing, dancing and lots of activities. From then onwards, Lord Hanuman’s birthday is being celebrated as Hanuman Jayanti by his devotees to acquire wisdom, knowledge and strength like him.
Lord Hanuman Mantras
“ Manojavam Maarutatulyavegam
Jitendriyam buddhi mataam Varistham,
Sriramdootam saranam Prapadye “
Lord Hanuman Aarti:
“Aarti Kije Hanuman Lala ki, Dusht Dalan Raghunath kala ki
Jake bal se girivar kanpe, Rog dosh jake nikat na jhanke
Anjani putra maha bal daayee, Santan ke prabhu sada sahayi
De beera Raghunath pathaye, Lanka jaari seeya soodhi laye
Lanka so koti Samudra Si khaayi, Jat pawansut bar na layee
Lanka Jaari asur sanghare, Seeya Ramjee ke kaaj saware
Lakshman murchhit pare Sakare laye Sajivan pran ubaare
Paithi patal tori jam kare, Ahiravana ki bhuja ukhare
Baaye bhuja asur dal mare, Dahine bhuja sant jan tare
Sur nar munijan aarti utare, Jai jai jai Hanuman uchare
Kanchan thal Kapoor lou chhayi, Aarti karat Anjana mayi
Jo Hanuman ji ki Aarti gawe, Basi Bakuntha param pad pawe.”
Lord Hanuman is the centre figure in the epic Ramayan. He personifies knowledge, strength, wisdom, intelligence, divine power, bravery, spirit for selfless service and many more in the list. Most of his devotees chant his name and read Hanuman chalisa for many a times to obtain name, fame, power, success etc and have a bright future.