Gorumara National Park is one of the oldest national parks in India is situated in West Bengal. At the foothill of the lofty Himalaya lays the medium sized grassland park, which is one of the breeding grounds for Indian Rhinoceros. In the year 2009, the Indian Ministry of Environment and Forests has declared this forest as the most protected forests in India. Since 1895, Gorumara was a reserve forest; however, it was affirmed as a Wildlife Sanctuary in the year 1949. It was declared as a Wildlife Sanctuary on the account of the rhinoceros breeding population there. From 31st January 1994, Gorumara was confirmed as an Indian National Park. Initially, it was a small area but now it grew large in number incorporating the neighboring lands.
Gorumara National Park
- The place is important as it shelters the famous one horn Indian Rhinoceros. Also, it is the most important breeding ground and preservation center for rhinoceros.
- A wide range of flora and fauna is found in this park. The vegetation is very thick and it bars sunlight from reaching to the floor of the forest. Also, in some places, it is impossible to see through the thicket even during day time.
- The forest mainly consists of moist deciduous trees. Teak and Sal are the two most valuable trees that abundantly grow here. Also, Shimul, Siris, and Khair are common in this land.
- The park is breathtakingly beautiful and to add on to its beauty are the crystal clear rivers and the lofty mountains.
- A wide variety of mammals resides in this park. They include Indian Elephant, Indian Bison, Leopard, Sambar, One horn rhinoceros, Monkeys and much more.
- The park is also endowed with appropriate habitat for numerous bird species like the Indian pied hornbill, Drongo, Sunbird, Woodpeckers, Minivet, flycatcher, Brahminy duck, and a lot of migratory birds.
- The park is an arid deciduous jungle terrain that unites grasslands. It is the home of one of the biggest jumbo fauna in West Bengal.
- The Rhino observation tower is the finest place to watch wild animals. There is a salt reservoir just below the towers where animals like bison, elephant, rhino and deer and numerous other animals visit on a regular basis.
How to Reach Gorumara National Park
The three primary vehicles of communication can be availed to reach Gorumara National Park.
Airways: Bagdogra is 13 km away from Siliguri is the nearest airport.
Railways: You can reach to the sanctuary through a lot of railway stations like Jalpaiguri Alipurduar, Siliguri, and Koch. From there you can hire a jeep or a car to Lataguri, which is the gateway to the park. However, the nearest railway station which is approximately 7km away is Madarihat.
Roadways: The National Highway 31 connects Guwahati and Siliguri and passes through Chalsa, Lataguri, and Nagrakata which is near to the park. There are several buses that pass through the way. The Bhutan Government Buses, The North Bengal State Transport Corporation buses and also the Mini and Private buses are available from Siliguri to Alipurduar passing through Madarihat.
Flora and Fauna
The park comprises various flora and fauna and they are both interesting as well as fascinating to watch.
Bamboo, Simul, Savanna grass, Siris, Sal, Teak, Khair, and much more
The vegetation in the park is too dense even to see through it during the daylight.
Indian Rhinoceros, Tiger, Deer, Sambar, Asian Elephant, Giant Squirrels, Wild boar, Indian wolves, Hispid Hare, Hog deer, Barking deer, Leopard, Gaur, Pygmy Hog, Indian wild dogs, Sloth bear, etc
Brahminy duck, Sunbird, Indian hornbill, Spangled drongo, Asian paradise flycatchers, Woodpeckers, Pheasants, Peafowls, Scarlet Minivet, etc
Indian cobra, Indian python, Lizards, King Cobra, etc
Best Time To Visit Gorumara National Park
The best time to visit is from May to October. The park remains closed from mid of June to mid of September.
The animal lovers and also the nature lovers would love the place for its astonishing scenic beauty. From a wide range of flora and fauna to the flawless rivers and elevated mountains, Gorumara National Park is the best travel destination for people who have a keen interest in nature and animal life.