Ambedkar Jayanti (Bhim Jayanti) is an annual commemoration observed every year on 14 April in memory of Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar or simply B.R. Ambedkar, who was born in 1891 to Bhimabai and Ramji Ambadvekar in Madhya Pradesh. He was an Indian anthropologist, economist, historian, jurist, philosopher, politician, and the chief architect of the Constitution of India. He was also the great human rights activists.
2017 marks his 126th birth anniversary celebrations. It is observed as a public holiday throughout India under the Negotiable Instruments Act, 1881. This day is celebrated nation-wide with joyous to commemorate Ambedkar’s enormous contributions to the nation.
Ambedkar Jayanti Celebrations
Ambedkar Jayanti is commemorated with a great fervor more like a festival. It is the day when the nation reflects on the social progress.
- Every year a special event is organized in his honor at the Parliament of India. On the day, the President, Prime Minister and other prominent leaders of various parties pay homage to Ambedkar statue at the Parliament, New Delhi.
- In order to build the awareness of the prominence of the day throughout the globe, many Indian embassies around the world organize distinct events and speeches.
Ambedkar Jayanti is observed with great enthusiasm throughout India along with Delhi, Varanasi, and other major states.
- In Varanasi, the event is held by the Jayanti Samaroh Samiti in the areas of Kutchehri. They conduct various programs like dance, debate, drama, essay writing, painting, quiz competition, sports and symposium to which students participate with a lot of excitement.
- In Lucknow, a huge seminar is conducted by the Bhartiya Journalists Welfare Association, honoring the occasion.
- At Manikarnika ghat Varanasi, the festival is celebrated three days long (from 15th to 17th of April) at the Baba Mahashamshan Nath temple by organizing several cultural programs. Students organize a Prabhat Pheri during the morning and involve in the rally whole day. At certain localities, camps are organized to ensure free health check up and treating the poor.
- The Processions are carried out at Chaitya Bhoomi, Mumbai and at Deeksha Bhoomi, Nagpur.
Procession at Chaitya Boomi
- The festival is celebrated even abroad; significantly, in the United Kingdom, United States etc.
- Various Dalit institutions carry out large processions and Dalit Melas are held in the memory of this great man and conduct several activities including cultural and rally programs. The festival is observed both in government and private enterprises with meetings, memorial speeches, and prayers.
Contributions of B. R. Ambedkar
- He strived to abolish the social ideology of untouchability and protested to uplift them in the society, all during his law practice in the High Court.
- Started a Bahishkrit Hitakarini Sabha to promote the education within untouchables and develop their economic status. He initiated several programs like “Bahishkrit Bharat, Equality Janta, and Mook Nayak”, specifically for Dalits.
- Started the movements to abolish the untouchability for temple entry and provision to water resources.
- He had striven hard for reservation to depressed class through a distinct electorate through the Poona Pact.
- Played a major role in planning the Indian economic and ensured great prominence in initiating the Reserve Bank of India as a professional economist. He had established the Finance Commission of India.
- He motivated people for the enhancement of agriculture, food security and industrialization to uplift the financial status of the country.
- Striven to provide the special status to the state of Jammu and Kashmir in India.
- He runs a social movement aiming to eradicate the casteism in India as well as rebuilding the Society by following the rule of equality.
- Deeply involved in making legal changes so as to safeguard the rights of low-class people.
- He put his major efforts in protecting the Fundamental Rights and Directive Principles of State Policy in the Indian Constitution.
- He led the Dalit Buddhist movement.
- Dr. B.R. Ambedkar contributed his functions as the chairman of the drafting committee for the independent India; also worked as the first Law Minister of India.
- He was commemorated with Bharat Ratna, the nation’s highest civilian award in 1990.
Ambedkar Jayanti World-wide
A Google Doodle was created in 2015, marking the Ambedkar Jayanti.
Dr. Ambedkar Jayanti is such a huge event, that Dr. Ambedkar topped on Google Search and Twitter Trends in 2015.
In 2016, Dr. Ambedkar’s Jayanti was celebrated at United Nations.
Did you know?
In 2012, Ambedkar was chosen as the ‘Greatest Indian’ in a poll conducted by CNN IBM and History TV18. Nearly 20 million cast their votes, making Ambedkar the most popular Indian figure.
Literary Sources of the Ancient Indian History
Sadhguru Jaggi Vasudev Quotes
Fundamental Rights of INDIA
Cripps Mission In India – Everything You Need To Know
Indian History Books, Top 20 Must-Read
How to Remove Black Magic? Recommended Remedies
The Four Life Stages Of An Ancient Hindu
Ambedkar Jayanti – Birth Anniversary of Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
Lokmanya Bal Gangadhar Tilak Biography History Facts
Indian Cinema and Literature, 100 Years of Success
Aryans and Vedic Period in India – Ancient Indian History
Swami Vivekananda Quotes On Youth To Inspire