April 28th, 2017, Friday marks the commemoration of festival Akshaya Tritiya, the day with good fortune, celebrated by both Hindus and Jains. It is the most-awaited occasion to buy a precious metal, like gold. During early days, people bought coins; later the trend shifted to purchase certain light jewelry.
Akshaya Tritiya as Auspicious Day
Akshaya Tritiya always experiences an exceptional sprint in the number of people approaching the Gold Vendors. There is an unparalleled urge for jewelry bookings in the top towns of the country, and the vendors go through a hectic day with business pouring in from all sides.
It is estimated that approximately 20 tons of gold are transacted on only Akshaya Tritiya.
Gold jewelry sale rises sharply commemorating the occasion. This year, the gold ornaments bookings skewed with a price range of Rs 30,000-50,000 a piece.
In fact, there is a lot of importance behind the Akshaya Tritiya and its significance of purchasing gold. This day is great to begin new, be it starting a new venture, getting into an alliance of marriage, or investing in gold.
What is Akshaya Tritiya all about?
As per Hindu astrology, Muhurta or tithis play a significant role. These are termed as Sade-Teen Muhurat.
- First tithi is Bright Half of Chaitra
- Second tithi is Bright Half of Ashvin
- Third Tithi is Bright half of Vaishakha
- Last Tithi is Bright Half of Karttika.
First three are counted as one each, whereas the last one is regarded as half. All leading to Saade Teen Muhurat.
Hindus have faith in the principle of “mahurat” timings during each occasion of their life – be it to start a brand new endeavor or perhaps producing a significant buy. Akshaya Tritiya, widely known as ‘Akha Teej’ is certainly one such type of significant event, that could be certainly one of the most auspicious times of Hindus. It is really thought; any kind of significant activity begun on the day could be beneficial and victorious. This day symbolizes fortune, luck, and success. It was also believed that people born in that month will be very lucky and will shine brightly throughout their life. Charity done on this day will be blessed. Mrutika is worshiped on this day of Navanna Parvam.
When do we celebrate Akshaya Tritiya?
Akshaya means ‘eternal’, the never diminishing in Sanskrit and Tritiya signifies ‘third day’. Akshaya Tritiya, one of the holiest and auspicious occasion is commemorated on the IIIrd day of Shukla paksha of Vaisakh. Most frequently, it is celebrated during the months of April-May. This day marks the exalted position of both Sun and moon at their top of brightness, at the same time, which occurs just once yearly.
In the Hindu and Jain calendars, certain days of the month does not exist and certain days often repeat, but Akshay Tritiya is the day which occurs without absent in every lunar calendar.
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya according to Hindus
The Hindus look forward to decently commemorate the festival, as the day symbolizes a lot of significant incidents
- Lord Ganesha under the guidance of Guru, Ved Vyasa begun writing Mahabharata on this day.
- The day commemorates the Parashurama Jayanti, the 6th incarnation of Lord.
- This was the day when Goddess Annapurna was born.
- This day marks the event when Lord Krishna handed the ‘Akshaya Patra’ to serve food for the Pandavas during their exile.
- This was the day when River Ganges came down to earth. A dip in the river during this time is regarded auspicious.
- This was the day when Kubera revered Goddess Lakshmi and took up the position as the treasurer of the Gods.
- It was the day when Adi Shankara delivered the Kanaka Dhara Stotra for the well-being of a poor couple and offered them gooseberry.
- In Puri at Odisha, the farmers carry out ploughing and start constructing chariots for Rath Yatra.
- In Bengal, “HalKhata” ceremony is performed to begin an audit book with the worship of Gods by performing rites and rituals.
- This day is regarded auspicious by the Jat farmers.
Significance of Akshaya Tritiya according to Jains
- This was the day when the ideology of “Ahara Charya”, has been brought into effect to serve Jain monks.
- The festival symbolizes Lord Adinata, (or, ‘Rishabhdeva’) who terminated his fast by drinking sugarcane juice. This practice is followed by the Jains to mark the end of their Tapasya.
Akshaya Tritiya (Akha Teej) Occasions
Have a look at the conventional methods practiced during Akshaya Tritiya.
Puja – The important Puja as well as prayers are offered to Lord Vishnu and also Goddess Lakshmi. In many homes, basic Vishnu Puja is performed in the morning time with Tulsi leaves and blossoms. Lakshmi Kubera Havan is performed at various locations. To commemorate this festival, people observe fast throughout the day.
Lakshmi Puja on Akshaya Tritiya
Annadhanam – Annadhanam or even supplying food to the weak and desperate is without question certainly one of the easiest methods to convey gratitude to God for any his good things. Hence, lots of people do Annadhanam on this day. Along with providing food, other styles of donations and charity events are popular. People donate food groceries and clothes to needy.
Purchasing Gold – It is considered that no matter what one invests on during Akshaya Tritiya, it will surely grow in value and ensure success; hence people purchase gold during this day, as gold symbolizes fortune and wealth and is regarded pious.
Gold Shopping for Akshaya Tritiya
From the first light till sundown, every second the clock ticks on this day is sacred and auspicious. It is believed that, any eventful activity began on this day definitely gives rich returns.
Reasons why a person should invest in the gold during this Akshay Tritiya:
- Akshaya Tritiya is the day full of auspiciousness, i.e. there is hardly any need for mahurat to start anew on this day.
- Akshaya means “never diminishing” hence it is believed that gold bought on this day will bring goodwill to the entire family.
Recommendations during Akshay Tritiya
- As the tithi is considered to be Yugadi, it is preferable for performing meritorious (Punya Karma) deeds.
- Worldly activities can be initiated during this Tithi.
- Beginning a new venture or purchasing valuables on this day is believed to bring success.
- The charity performed on this day and the merit that is obtained is regarded inexhaustible.
The day also marks the beginning of Satya Yuga on earth. In fact, everybody craves for the days of Satya Yuga as falsity had no place in the lives of people, and truth and honesty always reigned supreme. So, pray to God on April 28, to ensure lasting peace and happiness may dawn on this earth forever.